Addison Trail sophomore Aaron Ozee publishes four poetry books, more in the works

Publishing a book is a common goal for a lot of writers, but not many actually get to the publishing stage. For 15-year old Addison Trail student Aaron Ozee, publishing a book is a complete reality. He’s already published four and has another three in the works.

His first book, “Celestial Inferno: Poems of Another Realm” was published on Oct. 22 and since then, has hasn’t stopped. He published “Peacefully Poetic” about a week later and the next two in November. He has three books waiting to be published as the website on which he publishes is up-and-running.

Tell me a little bit about your first book.
My first book is called “Celestial Inferno: Poems of Another Realm.” It’s an anthology book, and has a collection of 52 poems concerning the topics of heaven and hell, greed and love. Poems in that book particular are not directly poems that are specified to a certain story or background. They’re poems you can put your mind into and fragment the second part of the poem. There are some where names are created, such as a person talking to you in the poem — it’s kind of like an eavesdrop poem, and then there are some that are conversations or a narrator speaking, but really you’re just reading what’s going on.




Where do you get your ideas from?
Sometimes from memories and past recollections. I had somewhat of a hard childhood. I’m not Holocaust survivor or anything, but I have some past memories, conflicts, and friend drama, but most of the time it’s all subconsciously created. It’s just there and I don’t know what it is.

You’re only 15 years old. How does it feel to accomplish this?
It feels great. I’m actually really happy I’ve been able to accomplish so much. My maturity level is different than most. People and students don’t really get how big of a deal publishing a book is. They think it’s just a book you can check out at a library and that’s not a very big deal. The deal is that I’m 15 years old and I have seven books. It would take an adult, like, 20 years to do that.

Is it hard to balance writing with school?
Well sometimes it is, but not particularly. I’m more of a well-trained multi-tasker. I know how to displace these things high on my to-do list. I’ll say, I need to write this much today, so I’ll get all my homework done during school. I write every day. I could write for 11 hours a day, just depending on my mood. People always say I’m always writing, but that’s kind of my job. I just keep on going and try to figure out how I can improve my writing every day. I work during school sometimes.

So you are planning to make a career out of this?
Yes. It doesn’t really pay up front — I haven’t been paid yet. I’ve been doing back breaking work my whole life so far and I’m just waiting for that one opportunity. I won’t stop publishing books until I reach about 20 of them. I publish each book personally, I don’t have a publisher do it for me. I don’t have a problem with editing, but sometimes with poems, there’s different inferences and when someone looks at my poem, they’ll say it’s grammatically wrong, when it’s really just a raw expression of humans through words.

When did you first realize this was what you wanted to do?
I basically started my career at a very young age. I started writing when I was five and a half, and I knew what I wanted to do then, so I stuck with it. I didn’t let anyone tell me differently. I knew what I had to do and I did it.

No comments: